Doctor of Philosophy in Intercultural Studies
AGST PhD Intercultural Studies Program is hosted by the Biblical Seminary of the Philippines. The Program started in 2011. It requires a total of 60 units that may span between four to seven years.
The PhD in Intercultural Studies program is interdisciplinary in nature as it combines social sciences, history, and theology in understanding particular contexts and realities for the purpose of doing God’s mission or missio Dei. It aims to equip missionaries and Christian leaders by providing opportunities to reflect on their experiences, to do original research, and to integrate their learning in their ministries as missiologists.
- To understand the biblical, theological, historical, and anthropological foundations for missiology;
- To demonstrate Christ-like character and leadership skills necessary for effective ministry;
- To articulate a philosophy of missiology and develop appropriate strategies in addressing issues in the contexts to which God has called them;
- To demonstrate the ability to undertake original research and engage in critical thinking and theological reflection in at least one core area of missiological study.
- M.A. or M.Div. in Intercultural Studies, or their equivalent
- At least 550 TOEFL score or its equivalent
- At least 1.5 (B+) GPA from accredited seminaries
- Applicants with extensive cross-cultural experience may be given advanced standing
- 24 units of core courses, 27 units tutorial classes, and 9 units of dissertation
- Pass the comprehensive exam
- Successful dissertation defense
Professional opportunities after graduation
This program aims to produce missiologists or mission scholars who are competent to address contextual realities for the purpose of doing God’s mission. Missiologists are scholars who work and serve in churches, para-churches, educational institutions, or organizations by providing research, planning, strategies, analyses, and missional implications and applications.
For inquiries, please email the Program Director.
Dr. Juliet Lee Uytanlet
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all AGST classes are held online and BSOP dorm is temporarily unavailable for the academic year 2020-2021.